tilr’s Tips for Filing Your Taxes

Check out the following FREE resources for a seamless, easy filing season

By: Samantha Shefsky

It’s tax filing season!

It is tax filing season! Did you know that there are many free services to help you file your taxes? We have partnered with United Way’s myfreetaxes, powered by H&R Block. Check out the infographic below to learn about free tax help both online, and in person at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky regions.





MyFreeTaxes.com is a free, secure and mobile website sponsored by United Way and powered by H&R block, with a helpline (1-855-MY-TX-HELP) supported by IRS-certified operators,


In person


Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers free in-person tax filing support for families with incomes under $54,000 through trained and certified volunteers at walk-in or appointment sites throughout the region. To find a VITA site near you, call 2-1-1 or visit UWGC.org/tax-help




What does my 1099/independent contractor status mean?

As a tilr Community Member, you are considered an independent contractor, as you have performed work for businesses as a non-employee of those companies. If you’ve done any work as an independent contractor, then you may receive a 1099, which shows the IRS how much you earned as a non-employee for a company or various companies. As a 1099 worker, you are neither an employee of tilr nor any of the organizations for for which you provided services, and you are responsible for paying all of your taxes per IRS guidelines.


Will tilr file my taxes?

No, tilr does not file your taxes. For Community Members who have earned $600 or more in work opportunities matched via tilr’s platform, tilr will be providing a value-added service to you and those businesses you completed work for in 2017 by issuing you a 1099 form. For all Members, tilr is providing information on optional, free resources to assist you with filing your taxes.


I have questions about my taxes. Who do I contact?

tilr does not provide advice on tax filing, so we encourage Members to leverage certified tax assistance services, such as United Way’s myfreetaxes program, which provides a tax helpline about tax and software questions for myfreetaxes users. Please call 1-855-MY-TX-HELP for more information.


How much money do I owe for taxes?

The amount of money that you owe to the IRS varies depending on your income.  There are numerous tools and resources available, such as the Painless1099 calculator, which can help you estimate and calculate how much tax you will owe.


We hope this information is helpful for you. We will send out a few more reminders closer to when your taxes are due. Mark April 17, 2018 in your calendar!